Some bloggers struggle to find at least 10 or 20 readers from search engines at their initial days. But after learning some blogging principles, they receive handsome traffic. But it stops at certain limit. After that they struggle more than they struggled at initial days to improve blog traffic further.
When I reached this status, I felt that there are some self-blocks for all the bloggers. So that they could not move further. Currently I am in the process of finding these blocks and break them in my lab. This post deals one of such self-blocks that bloggers don’t know about.
Ok. Now I share one best SEO tip that I have recently learned while I have been searching testing topics for my Blogging Labs. I take topics from growing bloggers for blogging labs to test further. I read at least 10 posts everyday. The posts are all taken from small blogs to A-list blogs. I could have read your post also.
I see many bloggers highly concentrating on their blog Search engine optimization. But they don’t usually get search engine love. Some bloggers tell that page rank is nothing to worth as they get lowered in Page rank or remain in same Page rank. So I thought that it would be useful to me and you, if I could learn and share SEO tips and tricks (if any).
SEO basics: This is part 1 of the “SEO basics for blogger” series post. This series of posts help you to solve your SEO misunderstandings and save your blog from next page rank down.
Write Effective Post Titles for your Readers
I started to research some posts about SEO in Google. I got SEO book’s post on ‘SEO for blogs’. It was great. Because it pointed out me to exactly what I wanted to know. It linked to one of the Copyblogger article about writing effective titles for blog posts. It is 11 part series post. I read all the 11 parts in one shot within 3 hours. It was that much interesting. That was not only interesting. It was an eye-opening SEO post.
So I decided to talk about the post titles at first in my SEO series. This post recovers you from false beliefs about Google punishment for your post titles.
Watch this how to write post title to get SEO benefit video on Youtube.
Do you know what I had come to know once read all 11 parts?
- Bloggers should not title the posts based on search engine keyword.
- Post title is one of the traffic sources. ( like this one)
- All the titles used so far in fourblogger are not effective.
- The strategies that you think as SEO is not really a good strategy in many cases.
Read the following to check how much far you and me doing same mistakes:
I write posts first and then I write the titles at last
Brian says that you should write post title at first before start writing content; your headline is a promise to prospective readers. So you will be writing to fulfill your promise.
Brian is right at what he said. It happened to me while I was writing some posts on Fourblogger. I started to write with the purpose of writing specifically something. Once I finished the post, I felt that it came something different from what I wanted to accomplish. So I titled it something differently.
Many told you that you should write quality content. Hadn’t they said how to write quality content?
Writing post title before you start writing post content makes you obliged to fulfill the promise you made at title. This method makes you start writing quality content.
I wanted to put all the important keyword in Title
Although I write content for humans instead search engine, I go down at least when I name the post’s title. I try to identify the important keywords and insert all of them into title, especially I try to put important keywords in left most part of the title.
Why writing titles for search engine is bad idea?
- Google uses more than 200 factors to show a result in SERP. Just by using keyword in title (one of the factor) is not going to help you rank high in SERP.
- Nowadays, all traffic sources (Digg, stumble upon, twitter, Facebook and tutorial submission sites) show just title of your post. If people get attracted to titles, then there may be a chance your blog to grow further.
- What is the benefit to your search engine optimized titles, if it is not picked to read even by your regular readers, when the titles shown up in twitter & Facebook updates? And how do you expect it will be clicked when it is showed in SERP?
- If you have business blog or some other product selling pages, then you should consider writing titles as per keyword research. But you are writing blogs for your readers who want guidance content from you. So you should attract and satisfy them at first before satisfying search engines.
Why writing titles for human is good idea?
- Your title is a great traffic source
Sometimes there are unknown traffic sources that can drive more traffic than other well known traffic sources. Your title is also one of such traffic sources.
People don’t have much time to read all or at least some popular blogs in their niche. Then how can I expect people to read my posts? But I can at least attract them using my post titles and then I can show them how much good I am at writing quality content.
- Your posts get backlinks
Bloggers always link to the posts that inspired them or helped them. If you write inspirational post title for humans, the title inspires your readers to read your quality content and they automatically link to your posts. When it happens, you satisfy some more signals among 200 SERP ranking factors, then your post automatically comes in first page of SERP (This is what you wanted to achieve through the above bad idea but no success. Isn’t it?).
See what other bloggers told:
I wrote longer post title to cover all important keywords
Google shows only 60 to 70 letters of post titles in search engine results. I have written sometimes more than 100. There is no chance to people to see the last few words of post title in SERP.
How to Write Best Post Titles for Post?
In copyblogger magnetic headlines series, Brian not only instructs you to write titles for human beings. He also instructs you how to write titles for how to post, list post and also gives best examples for attractive headlines that worked for successful bloggers and internet marketers.
URL versus Post Title
There is always debate going on how to set up URL for blog post. Some one suggests using plugins to eliminate the ineffective keywords from URL. Some one warns not to use different keywords in post title and URL. I got confused a while ago. So I did little research on how some A-list blogs handle Post title & URL issue. (I usually research on A-list blogs and learn so much. If you watch closely, you can learn from big bloggers and sometimes earn from big bloggers)
My Observations on this little research:
1. Some big bloggers use different words in post titles & URLs for a post and uses fewer keywords in URL
Examples are in the order of “URL – Post Title – Page Rank (PR)”
From Matt Cutts’s blog, here are two examples.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/good-seo-tips/ – More material for web site owners – PR 5
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-android-event/ – Live-blogging the Nexus One phone – PR 4
From Brian Clark’s Copyblogger blog, here are two examples
http://www.copyblogger.com/no-links/ – Why No One Links to Your Best Posts (And What to Do about It) – PR 5
http://www.copyblogger.com/grammar-writing-mistakes/ - Do You Make These 7 Mistakes
When You Write? – PR 5
2. Some big SEO blogs use the same words in title and URL.
From Search engine land, here are two examples
http://searchengineland.com/iceland-volcano-maps-wheres-the-volcanic-ash-what-airports-are-closed-plus-refugees-tweeting-40260 - Iceland Volcano Maps: Where’s The Volcanic Ash? What Airports Are Closed? Plus, Refugees Tweeting!
http://searchengineland.com/why-you-should-attend-smx-advanced-2010-a-personal-preview-from-danny-sullivan-40148 Why You Should Attend SMX Advanced 2010: A Personal Preview, From Danny Sullivan
From Search engine journal, here are two examples
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/wordstream-does-it-again-new-awesome-keyword-utility-for-seos-paid/20066/ – WordStream Does it Again: New Awesome Keyword Utility for SEOs (paid)
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/create-searchable-link-building-records-with-sej-tools-website-directory/20060/ – Create Searchable Link Building Records with SEJ Tools’ Website Directory
Results I want to share with you about URL versus Post Title:
Those bloggers, who knows content & reader are more valuable than search engines, don’t worry about providing different keywords in URL than post title and using fewer keywords in URL. Those who claim them and called by others as SEO specialists don’t want to go deep before leap .
Be a bold blogger! Use fewer Keywords in URL! Write post titles absolutely for humans.
Some other tips related to your post URLs:
1. There is not much significance in order of keywords in URL. – By Matt Cutts
2. Should I use H1 tag in title alone or may I use more than once H1 tag in a page? – You can use more than once in a page unless you try to spam. – By Matt Cutts
3. Will my URL structure affect Page ranking? For example, what will happen if I try to use ‘fourblogger.com/2010/04/22/postname’, instead ‘fourblogger.com/postname’. Google doesn’t worry about how deep your content located in your directories. So just don’t think about it.
Hereafter I will title my posts as per discussed above points and submit the results later in coming months.
- Practice from now onwards to write post titles for humans. Read all the 11 parts of Copyblogger post to write magnetic headlines to your blog posts.
- Use less number of keywords and don’t afraid to write title different than the URL keywords.
- Follow Matt Cutts on Google Webmasters Channel to solve all your SEO doubts.
- Read my all valuable tips for blogging through subscribe to our feed and video channel.
Bookmark this post. I will update here, link to next part of this SEO series when I done. If you have any questions related to SEO, leave a comment below or in our videos. I will answer your questions in my coming part of this series.
If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS