Update Aug,2011: After i wrote this post i find this best backupbuddy plugin. It will helps to you. Are you looking to backup your entire blog, then backupbuddy plugin will helps for you and here my latest wordpress backup post and backup buddy discount code
As my blog grown fast and well, I was getting worry about safety of the blog. I had been doing many security techniques but at last I found that there is no best method to protect my blog other than taking backups. Yes. What ever you could do to protect your site, hackers able to broke your techniques. So having a backup is bright idea always. Fortunately the process of taking backup was easy. But still I was not feeling safe as I doubted about my backups. What if my backup not able to restore my blog, while blog lost or hacked? So what I did is, took backup and deleted the blog codes then tried to restore from my backup. Yeah. Now I felt safe as my backup was enough to restore my blog completely. I did all these tests in my small blogs and fortunately I did screencast of these tests. Hope it helps you now.
Know Your WordPress Before Backup or Get Hacked:
The backup and restore processes are easy. But it might be easier if you know your wordpress fully. When it comes to backup process, you can understand your wordpress as two parts. One is your wordpress folders and files which can be accessed through FTP client or Shell. Another one is your wordpress database.
First part (WordPress folders and files) contains
WordPress core files.
Java scripts, other scripts etc
Second Part (WordPress database) contains
Wordpress user’s datas etc.
Most of the hosting providers offer full backup of the server contents (which includes wordpress folders, databases, and other files if any). But what I observed is, none of them can be restored easily. This full back up process is useful only, when you decide to move your blog contents from one server to another server. So what is the best method to take backup of wordpress blog? The answer is you have to take backup of wordpress folders and database separately. So I am here explaining these methods. Having backup of any one of them is not enough. Always make sure you have both (wordpress folders & databases) backups.
Backup WordPress Blog Folders and Files
I show you two methods.
1. FTP Backup method.
2. Automated (Scheduled) backup method.
Method 1 FTP backup method
This process involves the following steps.
1. Locate the wordpress folder which was installed in your server.
• If you have installed the wordpress directly in your domain and if you have only that wordpress blog in your server, then you have to take backup of your Public_html directly.
• But in my case, I have installed the blog directly in my main domain www.Puipil.Com but that was not the only one blog in my hosting account. I have several blogs in my hosting account. So when I needed to backup puipil.com, I should have done backup of Public_html->Puipil.com.
• If you have installed your blog in your sub-folder of the domain like www.yourblog.com/blog, then you should backup your corresponding folder.
2. Download the folder contents to your desktop. This is just like copy and paste.
If you know how to use any FTP client like Filezilla, FireFTP, then you know what I am telling. But don’t worry even if you don’t know how to use it. Because you can easily follow my video tutorial on how to take backup through FTP. In this video I am using FireFTP which is FTP client add-on for firefox browser.
Method 2 Schedule Your WordPress Backup Process
I found one software called Syncbackse from wordpress.org page which helps us to backup our blogs. What made me to show you this software is, Syncbackse was easy to save ftp login profiles and I can do backup & restore at same profile and also I can schedule my backup process. I am not going to explain the process with text and image here as the whole process was same as installing and running the normal software files. So I did screencast for this process. Check out the video for taking backup and how to schedule it.
Backup WordPress Database:
Method 1 WordPress Database Backup Using Plugin
WordPress bloggers are very much capable of handling plugins. Isn’t it? At least you and myself. So I explain this method as first method. I tested this method fully and it was fine. I used Wp-db-backup plugin which is available for free in wordpress plugin library.
In this video I show you the following backup process:
• I am taking backup through plugin settings.
• I just deleting my database via phpmyadmin (You no need to do this step. I am just trying to make sure my backup enough to restore full database).
• I restore the database through PhpMyAdmin.
For more assistance, watch the video on how to take wordpress database backup.
Method 2 Take WordPress Backup & Restore it Through PhpMyAdmin
Do you know PhpMyAdmin at least where it is? It is available in your hosting control panel under databases section. If you can’t locate it, just use your hosting support. To brief, PhpMyAdmin makes easy of the handling databases. I am accessing my MySQL databases through PhpMyAdmin. I don’t want to bore you much. I explain how to do the backup (export mysql) and restore (import mysql) in this video.
In this video I show the following process
1. I show you what is inside of PhpMyAdmin (Where are your posts and comments)
2. I export (backup) the database.
3. Deleting my database (you no need to do this step. Just I am doing to make sure my backup will be enough to restore my wordpress blog database in my bad times).
4. I import (restore) the database.
Hi!, As you have seen in videos, all the above methods are tested and i am satisfied with them. Anyway i recommend you to try these methods.
Hope you guys tried these methods in your blog or at least you know how to do. If you really like this tutorial, bookmark it in your delicious or stumbleupon so that it will be easy to access this tutorial when you need this in urgently.
I have tried some other methods also but they were not easy. So just omitted them from mentioning here. If you have any tutorials for backup process, just leave the link in comment or if you have video tutorial, submit it as video response in the above videos.