In this tutorial, I show you how to use ‘Permalinks’ settings
In wordpress effectively. I tell you that which Permalinks
Option will be the best for your blog.
What are Permalinks settings in WordPress?
Choosing a permanent structure for all urls of your blog has been done in Permalinks settings. Search engines going to crawl your pages and store them with your links. So often changing URL structure is bad idea. Choose the best one at starting period of blog and recommend you to change it never.
I have explained entire procedure in this video. Watch the video tutorial:
If you can’t watch the video, follow the below steps.
How to Change Permalinks?
1. Login to your wordpress dashboard.
2. Go to ‘Permalinks’ settings option under ‘Settings’ in left navigation.
3. You can see some common settings there. They are
2. Date and Name
3. Month and Name
5. Custom structure
We will see in detail.
For example, consider my blog www.fourblogger.com
1. In default my post and page urls will be like this
2. If you choose Date & Name option, urls will be
3. If you choose Month & Name option urls will be
4. If you choose Numeric, it will be like this
5. The last one is custom structure option. You can use this to
Customize your URL structure.
How to Customize URLs to make search engine friendly?
Search engines always give importance to URLs, post titles, post introduction area (first Para). So you should customize your URL
With post name. To do that, select ‘Custom structure’ option. Then fill the box with /%postname%/ to make your links as http://fourblogger.com/how-to-create-free-google-applications-email-for-your-blog-video-tutorial/
This is the best format for any blog. So choose this one and
Click ‘Save settings’. That’s all now you can see your new
Urls in all your blog posts and pages.
Note: If you want to use author name in URL, use custom structure as /%author%/
You can find more custom structure formats in wordpress.org