Most of the bloggers struggle for drive Traffic for their blogs. Fourblogger labs have found out a new way to drive traffic from videos.Creating video for your blog post is one of the ways to get traffic to blog. Normally most of the bloggers, who create videos, upload those videos into many video sharing websites (like youtube, metacafe, 5min and etc) in order to divert video sharing sites’ traffic to their blog. After uploading the video, they get embed code from those sites and embed the same video into their blog and getting traffic from video sharing sites.
Some bloggers directly upload their video in their blog and play in their own players. You can also get traffic to your blog with help of other people’s videos available in video sharing sites.
Is it possible to get traffic form the video that has been created by third person?. Answer is yes. I know you are asking how? Possible via video sitemap. For this first we need to know how to create video sitemap.
What is video sitemap?
Video sitemap is a media which gives request to search engines as ‘my blog post has the video information & while showing search results for search query, consider available videos in my blog to include in video results and give it to user’.
Why video sitemap?
There are three main reasons
- When you look on the google search results, the video results shown in the search pages is very less amount. Do you think that reason for this is less video resource available? Or google showed only two videos in the each page of search results? Definitely not. There are number of blogs having video embedded blog posts. Example: consider your blog post contains embed video. This post appeared in the google web search results for a particular search key word. In search result page you have your post title, description and your site link. There is no information available for this post as it contains video result for the search key word.
- In video search, even though video available in blog post, it won’t appear in the video search result. It shows only video results from video sharing site videos.
- If you create video sitemap, then Google web search results can contain your blog post which having video thumbnail with descriptions for the post among the other text results. If any user sees the search result page, they have better impression on this result and they will visit it. You will get huge traffic from search engines.
For these reasons we need to create video sitemap to indicate search engines as that my blog post contains text along with video result.
If you don’t create any video for your blog posts, don’t worry. You can embed the relevant video available in video sharing sites into your post and create video sitemap for your post that contains video details. Search result shows video available in your blog. We will see this part in the next post. Here we see about how to create video sitemap the video which uploaded in your blog directory.
Resources needed to create video sitemap?
Before we create sitemap, there are two ways to add video to your blog. First method, you can upload the video into your blog post and run this video with your own player. Here you need to upload video player into your site directory to play videos. Your video player should be supportable for all formats of video that you have uploaded in your site. In this method, if you uploading more videos you need better hosting bandwidth in order to run more videos.
Second method, get the embed code from video sharing sites and embed the video in your blog post. It will play the in video sharing sites hosting bandwidth and player. Here no need to upload video player into your site. So I suggest you to use the second way to create video sitemap.
How to play videos in your video player?
To play video in your own player, you should upload the video player in your site directory. Upload video file in media library using the wordpress admin. Also your video player should support the uploaded video format.
How to upload video player into your site?
- Download swf or flash video player to play .flv file on your blog. Example I have downloaded mediaplayer.swf file here.
- Upload this file in site directory (blog directory) using ftp software.ie) Upload the mediaplayer.swf file into the directory in which your wp-config.php file available.
- Once you uploaded the player, note this path which is used to specify the player location in video sitemap. If your wp-config file available in sub domain inside the blog folder, the player location is
How to embed videos in blog post?
There are two ways to add videos in blog post
- videos hosted from your site
- videos hosted by video sharing sites
Videos hosted from your site
Playing video in your own player is very easy.
- Upload the raw video file in flv, mp4 and other formats at your blog directory using media library in wp-admin. Note that your video file should be supportable by the video player. Uploading video is same as uploading images in wordpress.
- If you want give own thumbnail image in your video, upload the image file in jpg, png and etc formats.
Embed code for the video played in your own player
<object classid=”clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000″ codebase=”http://download.macromedia.com /pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0″ width=”480″ height=”360″><param name=”flashvars” value=”file=&image=http://www. yourdomainame.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/thumbimage.JPG” /><param value=”" /><embed src=”" width=”480″ height=”360″ type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” flashvars=”file=&image=http://www.yourdomainame.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/thumbimage.JPG” /></object>
Copy the code from below box
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"codebase="http://download.macromedia.com /pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"width="480"height="360"><param name="flashvars" value="file=http://www.yourdomainname.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/videoname.flv&image=http://www. yourdomainame.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/thumbimage.JPG" /><param value="http://www.yourdomainname.com/mediaplayer.swf" /><embed src="http://www.yourdomainname.com/mediaplayer.swf" width="480"height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="file=http://www.fourblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/videoname.flv&image=http://www.yourdomainame.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/thumbimage.JPG" /></object>
The above example code is the embed code structure for your own uploaded video file. In order to embed your video, you should replace the video upload path and player locations in this embed code. And add this code into your blog post. The code mentioned in
- Green color is your raw video file uploaded path.
- Red color code is the thumbnail image of the video.
- Blue color is video player uploaded path.
The size of the thumbnail image should be as same ratio as your embed video size, in the above example it is 4:3. If you are not specifying the thumbnail image, embedded video thumbnail will be in black. If you want to increase the size of the video, you should change the size in both object and embed code. Paste this code in html mode of post editing section in wordpress admin and update post now. Your post has video which is played in your own player.
Videos hosted by video sharing sites
Get the embed code for the video that you have uploaded in video sharing sites or other people uploaded in video sharing sites. Place this code inside you blog post. The video now has been embedded in you blog. Now your blog post contains video related to your content. Video may be yours or got from video sharing sites. Now you are ready to inform search engines as that ‘my blog post has the video information consider it while showing search results’. To convey this information to search engines, we need video sitemap.
How to create video sitemap?
While create sitemap we should consider the video embedded from which site? Your hosting or Video sharing site. Depends on this factor your video sitemap content location and player location have been varied. The common structure for video sitemap as below got from google webmasters help
<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9" xmlns:video="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap-video/1.1"> <url> <loc>http://www.example.com/videos/some_video_landing_page.html</loc> <video:video> <video:content_loc>http://www.site.com/video123.flv</video:content_loc> <video:player_loc allow_embed="yes" autoplay="ap=1">http://www.site.com/videoplayer.swf?video=123</video:player_loc> <video:thumbnail_loc>http://www.example.com/thumbs/123.jpg</video:thumbnail_loc> <video:title>Grilling steaks for summer</video:title> <video:description>Get perfectly done steaks every time</video:description> <video:rating>4.2</video:rating> <video:view_count>12345</video:view_count> <video:publication_date>2007-11-05T19:20:30+08:00.</video:publication_date> <video:expiration_date>2009-11-05T19:20:30+08:00.</video:expiration_date> <video:tag>steak</video:tag> <video:tag>meat</video:tag> <video:tag>summer</video:tag> <video:category>Grilling</video:category> <video:family_friendly>yes</video:family_friendly> <video:duration>600</video:duration> </video:video> </url> </urlset>
In the above structure, for each video located url information should given within <url> to</url>
The above code is the complete structure of video sitemap. <urlset is a tag used at the starting of the sitemap and in end of the sitemap we should use close tag ie) </urlset>
The necessary tags needed for video sitemap
<loc> This tag specifies url in which video has been embedded. That is video landing page url.
You should give all the video information within <video:video> tag. Content_loc, player_loc, thumbnail_loc, title, description, duration, these are all necessary tags needed to crate video sitemap.
Some optional tags are there. Rating, view_count, date, category, family friendly and etc are the optional tags.
We specify all the necessary tags in video sitemap. For thumbnail location, you should upload thumbnail image at the size 160×120 in png, jpg and in other supported formats. Upload it inside your media library of wp-admin and get the URL. Give this URL in the thumbnail loc. Video sitemap supportable image formats and video file formats are given in google webmaster help. Check this: video file format supportable for your video player?.
How to give content location and player location in video sitemap?
This is a very important part of video sitemap. If you give content and player location, your sitemap creation has been finished. Content location is a place at which your raw video file is located. Player location is a place in which video player has uploaded.
If you uploaded the video file inside your site ie) video hosted from your site, Your content location will be the video file uploaded path and player location will be player uploaded path.
Step by step procedure to create video sitemap:
Collect the below details for each video embedded in blog post.
- Blogpost url
- Video file uploaded path
- Video player uploaded path
- Video thumbnail image location
- Title of the video
- Description of the video
- Duration of the video
- Tags of the video
Get the common structure from google webmaters video sitemap creation help. It will give all the details to create a video sitemap. It you want you can remove some optional tags from the common structure.
Your sitemap look like this
<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9" xmlns:video="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap-video/1.1"> <url> <loc>http://www.example.com/videos/some_video_landing_page.html</loc> <video:video> <video:content_loc>http://www.site.com/video123.flv</video:content_loc> <video:player_loc allow_embed="yes" autoplay="ap=1">http://www.site.com/videoplayer.swf?video=123</video:player_loc> <video:thumbnail_loc>http://www.example.com/thumbs/123.jpg</video:thumbnail_loc> <video:title>Grilling steaks for summer</video:title> <video:description>Get perfectly done steaks every time</video:description> <video:tag>steak</video:tag> <video:tag>meat</video:tag> <video:tag>summer</video:tag> <video:category>Grilling</video:category> <video:family_friendly>yes</video:family_friendly> <video:duration>600</video:duration> </video:video> </url> </urlset>
- In the common structure <url> to </url> tag gives complete video sitemap instruction for particular blog post.
- <loc> tag is the video embedded page url in other words post url that contains video. example: http://fourblogger.com/how-to-upload-videos-and-images-in-media-library-of-wordpress-admin/
- <video:video> to </video:video> tag contains all the information about the video which you have inform to search engines via sitemap.
- <video:content_loc> tag gives video uploaded path Example: http://fourblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/media-and-link-section.mp4
- <video:player_loc> tag gives video player uploaded path in your blog directory. Example: http://www.fourblogger.com/mediaplayer.swf
- <video:thumbnail_loc> tag gives thumbnail image of the video which shown in search engine search results. The size should be 160×120. Example: http://fourblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/media-and-link160120.png
- <video:title> It should be less than 100 characters example: How to Upload Videos and Images in Media Library of WordPress Admin
- <video:description> example: For more thesis theme and wordpress tutorials visit http://fourblogger.com You can use media to upload images in wordpress blog. You can directly embed these images in your posts using image url. This tutorial also explains about the links section in wordpress dashboard.
- <video:tag> you should give one tag for each video tag example: wordpress media
- <video:category> example: blogging
- <video:duration>Length of the video in seconds example: 240
- Other tags are not necessary to create video sitemap if you want you can fill those things.
- Once you filled save this file as .txt for further use.
- To add another video url in video sitemap copy the sitemap from <url> to </url> Paste it again immediately after the </url> tag and replace all the second video information in this part note that at the end of the site map you should have the closing tag </urlset>. You can add more videos in the similar way.
- You should submit your video sitemap as a .xml file in webmaster tools. For this save the txt file as videositemap.xml file. If you are created the xml file correctly double click on this file it will open in your browser otherwise it shown error. If you have error correct it in .txt file and save this file as .xml. Because we can’t edit xml file in browser itself.
Once you created your video sitemap it looks like this. If your sitemap not shown like this, error may played, correct it in txt file and save as xml.
How to submit video sitemap in webmaster tools
- First upload videositemap.xml file in your blog directory using FTP. Path yourdomainname.com/videositemap.xml
- Go to webmasters tools and sign in with your username and password. Submitting video sitemap is similar to normal sitemap.
- Click on verified domain name, left side we have option site configuration, expand this option and click on sitemaps.
- Here we have button submit sitemap, here give the URL that you have uploaded the videositemap.xml file inside the blog directory. And hit submit button.
- Wait for 15 seconds it will show the status of your sitemap. If your status has green mark with format as video you are successfully submitted video sitemap. Wait for two to 3 days for search engines to crawl your sitemap and showed in search results and get more traffic from this.
- If any error occurred correct this in sitemap file and again submit it. Webmasters wont check it immediately if you have saved the same name after the error correction. If you want to be checked immediately save with other name and submit. Otherwise use sitemap index file. I will show this in next post.
The example gives more clear idea about creating video sitemap. This example I have created the sitemap for three different videos and submitted this video sitemap in webmaster tools. Search engine crawled these urls successfully. Now it shown in search engine result pages for some keywords I am getting more traffic from this. You can check it out by typing corresponding keywords like buzz in thesis in google search.
P.S Do you have more videos and struggling to create video sitemap use contact form with your video details or you can use this Google video sitemap plugin and your budget.
The next post I will give the information about..
- How to create video sitemap each video if your single blog post URL has more than one video?
- How to create video sitemap for video that has been embedded from video sharing sites like youtube.com, 5min.com, metacafe.com, vimeo.com and etc.
- How to get more traffic from third person’s video?
Not necessary to create a video for creating video sitemap. But your blog post should contain the video content. It may be yours or others from video sharing sites.
share your experience in comment section.