In this tutorial, I show you how to change the custom-sample folder to custom in thesis theme.
Why should I change Custom-Sample folder to Custom in Thesis?
Once you installed thesis theme in your blog, you will get an attention
message. The message shows “In order to take advantage of all the controls that thesis offers, you need to change the name of your custom-sample folder to Custom.” What does it mean? If you want to access ‘Custom File Editor’ option, in this place, I have to say, Custom File editor contains
‘Custom.css’, ‘layout.css’, ‘functions.php, so if you want to access these things you have to rename the custom-sample folder to custom.
How can I change Custom-Sample folder to Custom in Thesis?
You can do that in two methods.
1. Using File Manager option in your cPanel (Control Panel).
2. Using FTP software to access your blog folders and files.
I will show you how to rename the folder using cPanel method. Watch the
below video tutorial for complete guidance.
If you can’t watch the video tutorial, do the following steps to complete
the folders rename process.
1. Login to your blog hosting control panel. Your login url should be like
2. Once you logged in you can see ‘File manager’ option in Files section.
Click on that.
3. Inside that expand the folders in this order
Public_html–> Wp-content–>Themes–>Thesis _16.
Click on ‘Thesis_16’.
4. In right hand side, you will see various folders and files of Thesis_16
folder. Search for ‘Custom-sample’ folder and click on that.
5. Then you can see ‘Rename’ option in top of page. Click on that. Edit
The folder name ‘Custom-sample’ as ‘Custom’ and click ‘rename files.
That’s all. Now go to your wordpress dashboard and you can access
Custom file editor options without problems.